Custom Search

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

What Was In The Bucket

Thirty-one years ago I found myself a teenage bride. Not having much money and still in high-school my dad tried to take care of his "little girl" I can recall the time he showed up with a 20 lb bucket of black eyed peas. He knew I could do something with them and I did. I would love to say I knew how to cook back even in those days but that has taken time to reach where it is today. In those days I took the bucket and traded it to a friend with a large family in return for a T.V..  I found more use in the later as we normally enjoyed meals at my husbands parents, the place I also learned where to cook and some of those delicious recipes. I found this recipe for Louisiana style black eyed peas and thought it was a great place to share a story about me and a new recipe as well. Enjoy!!!






1 large onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 rib celery chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
2 cups dried black-eyed peas picked over and rinsed
5 cups water
15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne or more to taste
1 tablespoon hot sauce or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke flavoring

Heat a large pressure cooker over high heat (use the Sauté button on the Instant Pot). Add the onion and sauté until it begins to brown; add the bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, adding a tablespoon or two of water if needed to prevent sticking. Add the black-eyed peas and water, seal the cooker, and bring to high pressure. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. (Use the Manual button on the IP and set to 10 minutes.) Remove from heat and allow pressure to come down naturally.

Once the pressure is down, open the cooker and add all remaining ingredients except Liquid Smoke. Return to the heat and simmer for 15-30 minutes, until peas are completely soft and thickened. (Use Sauté on IP and adjust to low.) Add the Liquid Smoke and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot over rice with more hot sauce on the table.

To make without a pressure cooker, soak the peas overnight in cold water. Drain. Follow the directions for sautéing the vegetables. Then add all ingredients except liquid smoke to the pot, along with enough additional water to cover the peas by one inch. Cook until peas are completely tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, adding more water as necessary. When they’re tender, add the Liquid Smoke, cook for 5 more minutes, and serve over rice.

recipe source here

this recipe post shared at
weekend potluck
thought on thursday
friendship friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post