Custom Search

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Dancing Has a Rich History In Our Family

As we grow older we find out more and more about the generations that went before us. I had no idea til I was grown and married that my dads parents were square dancers. No-one had mentioned, not even once. I knew that they liked going out and about and would visit festivals and community gatherings more than most but I had no idea about square dancing.



It seems even they were young once upon a time It was not surprising to me to find out that it was the English, Irish and Scottish to bring square dancing to the U.S. as part of their own culture. My grandmother was from a large family rich in Irish customs.

It was in the U.S. that a caller was added. The caller's job is and was to help dancers to stay in step. There are many that still enjoy square dancing. The dance is lively, quick and lots of fun and also is considered exercise by many.



So Swing your partner round and round now dosey dos and turn her around.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post