Custom Search

Monday, February 15, 2016

Happy Gumdrop Day



Sharing the day with Presidents Day is one of the sweetest days of the year. President Day that always falls on the third Monday just so happens to fall on Gumdrop day that happens every year on the same day every year, February 15th.

If you are not sure what gumdrops are they are tasty, chewy candy made with gelatin and coated with sugar. They come in a variety of fruity flavors such as grape, cherry, orange, lemon and spice flavors as well. There is an easy way to know what spice you will find in the gumdrop

orange is clove
yellow you will find as all spice or sassafras
red is cinnamon
green is spearmint
purple is cardamom or anise
white is wintergreen or peppermint
black is licorice

Gumdrops have been a popular confection for at least two hundred years. So famous in fact that the boardgame Candy Land featured both a gumdrop Pass and a Gumdrop Mountain.

It is believed that Percy Trusdale invented the gumdrop in 1801. Trusdale worked for the Snyder Chafee Company before he founded and incorporated the P.S. Trusdell Candy Manufacturing Company. Trusdale was known as the Gumdrop King

Gumdrop Cookies
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen



1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of chopped gumdrops

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar
Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each addition
Beat in vanilla
Combine flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl
Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture while the mixer is still running.
Fold in the chopped gumdrops
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes

shared at


“Mrs.AOK,

23 comments:

  1. Gumdrops...yum! I had no idea there was a day dedicated to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, how did I not know that it was national gum drop day! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gumdrops are tasty. I like the red ones the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of gumdrop day before do you know if they are suitable for veggies at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would have never thought about adding gum drops to cookies. how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo, I love gumdrops but didn't know they had their own day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun idea. I can't wait to try it, my kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea we have a day to celebrate gumdrops. That is so fun! I didn't even know this much about those adorable little candies! Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We call them by another name where I was born but the deliciousness is just the same. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea such a day existed! I love gum drops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea such a day existed! I love gum drops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to name a day after me since everything seems to have a day...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gumdrop Cookies are so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a fan of gumdrops personally. I never thought to include them in a cookie I'm sure some will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ths looks like very fun way of making cookies. I love your recipe and i will definitely try this at home

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love gum drops. I didn't know there is a day for it. The cookies look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gumdrops...they are delish! I just love the fact they have their own day

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I want gumdrops! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never knew there was a gum drop day! Fun! What a yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who wouldn't love these cookies! Cute. Perfect for the kiddos. Thanks for linking up at #WelcomeHomeWednesday!! We hope see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the idea of gumdrop day - I think I need to remember this (perhaps adding it to my diary) for next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. There really is a day for everything isn't there?? haha I personally love them all, it gives us an excuse to celebrate everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had no idea there was a Happy Gumdrop Day! Wow so much to know and didnt know each color had a spice!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post